Characteristics of Quail
Quails are very small sized bird.
- An adult quail weights between 150 to 200 grams and an egg weights around 7 to 15 grams.
- Female quails start laying eggs within their 6 to 7 weeks of age and continuously lay one egg daily.
- They lay about 300 eggs in their first year of life. After that they produce about 150 to 175 eggs in second year. Eggs production gradually decreases after their first year of laying period.
- Quail egg is very suitable for human health. It contains 2.47 % less fat than chicken egg. Many people believe that ‘quail eggs help to prevent blood pressure, diabetic, pant etc.
- Quail meat is very tasty and nutritious. Fat is very low in their meat. So quail meat is very suitable for blood pressure patients.
- Eggs are very beautiful with multiple colors.
- Quails do not incubate their eggs. So you have to use an incubator or brooder chickens for hatching their eggs.
Advantages of Quail Farming
Quails are smaller sized poultry birds, and it’s very easy to handle them. The main benefits of starting quail farming business are listed below
- Quails are smaller sized bird, so they can be raised within small place.
- Feeding cost of quails are comparatively lower than chickens or other poultry birds.
- Diseases are less in quails, and they are very hardy.
- Quails grow very fast and gain maturity faster than any other poultry birds.
- They start laying eggs within their 6 to 7 weeks of age.
- It takes about 16 to 18 days to hatch their eggs.
- Meat and eggs of quail are very tasty, delicious and nutritious. So it’s a great source of food and nutrition.
- Quail farming needs small capital, and labor cost is very low.
- Quails can be raised successfully in commercial method. Some people have already started commercial quail farming business.
- Quails are very strong bird and diseases or other health problems are less. So risks are less in this business.
- Quail meat contains less fat. So, it is suitable for high blood pressure patients.
- Their food to meat or eggs converting efficiency is satisfactory. They can produce one kg meat or eggs by consuming three kg food.
- As the quail eggs are smaller in size, so the price is also lower than other bird’s egg. As a result, all types of people can buy quail eggs and you can easily sell the eggs.
- As the primary costs are less, so you can start this business with a very little investment.
- As it is a lucrative business venture, so commercial quail farming business can be a great source of income and employment for the unemployed educated people. Even, you can start raising a few quails along with your current profession.